The Daily Habit

As a new mother, I have been feeling an overwhelming since of responsibility to train and teach Silas about the ways of the Lord. Yes he is only 5 months old, but I want him to develop a daily habit of having a quiet time with the Lord.





My own personal time, while hard to get up early, has been such an encouraging time and a refreshing way to start my day.




I have been reading various motherhood resources and have learned that children can pick up habits from disciplines that parents put into place long before they are aware of what is happening around them.




It is my heart's desire that someday Silas will profess his faith in the Lord, but I can't just expect that to happen on its own. I have the responsibility to teach him about God, faith and the Bible. So I have started Silas' devotional time for him.




Everyday, usually about mid-morning, we retreat to his room and sit in his rocker. I start by praying over Silas aloud, so he can hear me. Then I read one of the Bible stories from his Pajama Bible that his Nana gave him. Next I read aloud a story from his Read and Share Jesus Storybook. At the end of each story, there is a discussion question. I read the question and answer if for him. Finally we conclude with a prayer from his First Book of Prayers.




Out time together is sweet, and he loves looking at the colorful pictures in the board books. Everyday I pray that he will come to know the Lord and have a personal relationship with Him. So yes while he is only 5 months old, I am starting this daily habit now.


rachel  – (July 13, 2011 at 6:26 AM)  

Your blogs always make me a little teary. I feel like you've become the fullest version of you with all this motherhood (if that makes sense).

Laura  – (July 13, 2011 at 8:06 AM)  

Victoria, What a blessing you are to your little boy, in ways that he'll grow to know by the Lord's grace. We also have the "Baby's Hug A Bible" which is written as rhymes explaining a few Bible stories. When Moriah gets older I also hope to utilize the book "Big Truths for Young Hearts" (I think that's right, something similar?!) by Dr. Bruce Ware. If you haven't heard of that one you might find it helpful, but not for a few years, haha!

Anonymous –   – (July 18, 2011 at 12:36 PM)  

You're a good mom! I love how you pray out loud. You might want to check into Ligon Duncan's books about "Blessing" your children.
I second the previous comment about Bruce Ware's book too ...I've been reading that to my children (6 of them at home ...two of them in college). I often asked the Lord to give my children "an excellent spirit" like that of Daniel in the Bible.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP